Wednesday 7 January 2015

Invitations... Beginnings.

Beginnings.

Every day I wander amongst rural Sussex with my small moleskins and paintbox, a minimal kit, I like not to encumbered with too many things... I find views, grand and small, that seem to have, for me, a sense of pervading otherness. An acknowledgement of light, tone and form all take their place but it is about moments and the movement and drying of the paint in situ also. I paint almost everything I do Plein Air. I am currently looking at local historical sites where the landscapes bear some less obvious signs of human habitation, the underlying presence, as well at the transition times of the day. Sky, sun, cloud, meadows, rivers, trees, hills all feature, I am also about fifty paintings into an exploration of outdoor painting at night.


"Amersbury Banks Iron Age Hill Fort - Epping Forest" December 2014 watercolour on paper. 

I am yet to resolve my responses to the hedgerow, stream and meadow, all my wanderings and looking only asks more questions. I am not sure my images differ inherently to those other creators make, but if anything, I can speak of my inspirations. I have always had this deep link between thinking and doing, practice and theory, words and images. I am very inspired by the rural writers of my country as the witnesses to the arcane presence that fleets in and out of my own understanding, that which my futile practice attempts to pin down like a specimen butterfly in a glass box. That sense of otherness, moments of passing grace, a fragment of memory, glimpse of light, the nostalgia and timelessness found under ancient trees and sites of old habitation is a source of deep inspiration, and also in constant need of refreshment. 


"Nightpainting No.50 on Vicarage Lane" November 2014 watercolour on paper.

My creative process is simple really, I wander, and wonder... I have been doing it all my life, getting lost, looking under and around things, trying, testing and attempting to see. I walk and visit places and look for interesting things on maps and then take my kit with me on my travels and usually my dog. I then just paint whatever takes my fancy and the images evolve themselves, I am not sure I have a particular style. I sometimes then work things up in the studio but this is quite rare, the sketchbooks are as much the work as anything else. I like looking back over them too, they are like a record, as in a record of a moment. I also link with other artists on Instagram (MMFXRofe) and in reality via a postcard art group, this gives me a chance to share tangible things with others around the globe, something which is also important to me, but I think that could be a whole other blog entry...


"Over Poundsford Farm" October 2014 watercolour on paper

Thanks to the incredibly helpful and gifted painter Michele Cooper whose skill, patience and insight is so beautiful to share, for inviting me to take part in this great project,

http://michelecooper.blogspot.com/

Here is a link to the blog of my very old friend and über talented artist Mr R J Oliver, his images and words are a constant inspiration. All will find something positive here no doubt,

http://www.richardjoliver.com/#!blog/c1rpo 

MMFXRofe 4/1/2015

2 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading this! Your words and work go hand in hand.......poetic, evocative, made for pondering.
    When you say "That sense of otherness, moments of passing grace, a fragment of memory, glimpse of light, the nostalgia and timelessness found under ancient trees and sites of old habitation is a source of deep inspiration, and also in constant need of refreshment."----It resonates!
    Keep writing whenever you have the time. I look forward to your thoughts and paintings here and on Instagram.
    All the best for a creative new year!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your words and viewing your plein air painting has been a joy. I am part of the World Blog Link that led me to your blog. Going backwards the link is You - Michele Cooper - Tina Koyama - Myself - Jo Castillo (who nominated me). Thank you for participating and sharing your work. I will be going to check out more of your work on Instagram, and then next Monday I will visit the artist you nominated. All the best!

    ReplyDelete